There is no doubt that coconut oil can be very versatile and has a plethora of health benefits. You should know that this oil is divided into two broad categories such as Refined oil and Virgin coconut oil.
Let’s take a closer look at 5 things you must know about coconut oil.
Characteristics of Virgin coconut oil:
– This oil is usually non GMO and certifies organic
– This is not refined
– This oil is derived from coconuts that are fresh
– You can heat this oil to a temperature of 350 degrees
– The oil has a strong flavor and scent
Characteristics of refined coconut oil:
– This oil is fully organic and its not GMO
– The oil is refined through steam and no chemicals used in the process
– This oil is derived main from dry coconuts
– The oil can be heated to a temperature of 400 degrees Fahrenheit
– The flavor and scent is absolutely natural
How Is Coconut Oil Made?
– Fresh coconut meat is scooped out of the shell then cold pressed.
– The result is leaving behind just the oil.
– Has a pure coconut flavor.
– Made from dried coconut meat, or copra.
– Gently steam refine the oil to achieve a neutral flavor.
– NOTE: Some companies use harsh chemicals to produce refined coconut oil – beware!
How Can You Use Coconut Oil?
This oil has many uses from hair care, applying on the body, cooking to baking you can use this in almost everything. You can use refined and virgin oil on a rotational basis; depending on your requirements.
Since refined oil can be heated to a temperature of 400 degrees, this oil is ideal for sautéing, baking and stir frying. This produces a very neutral flavor and is used by people who do not want a strong flavor of the coconut.
Which Coconut Oil Is Better For YOU?
The good news is that you can go for both as they are very in nutrition; it is totally up to you to choose depending on your taste. If you prefer the strong flavor or aroma of coconut then you could go for the virgin oil.
How To Shop For Coconut Oil
Confirm that virgin coconut oil IS:
– Made without hexane
– Never deodorized or bleached
Confirm that refined coconut oil:
– Has never been refined using harsh chemicals
– Be sure to check that it is steam-refined
Coconut oil can be applied on the body to achieve a soft and supple skin. People also use it on their hair to maintain healthy growth and smooth texture.