Dry skin is something a lot of us have to deal with, particularly if you reside in a dry, in-land location. Aside from simply being aesthetically uninviting, it can trigger extreme and constant irritation that can result in crimson spots and can drive some people insane.
To fight dry skin, lots of people lather on moisturizer throughout the day to minimize the feeling of dryness and the discomfort that comes along with it. Although these moisturizers might make your skin feel much better, you may wish to consider avoiding particular brand names. This is because one research study discovered that many popular moisturizers have been found to enhance tumor development and potentially the advancement of skin cancer also.
Moisturizers and Tumor Growth
One research study released in the HHS Public Access archives took a look at the relationship in between applying moisturizers and tumor growth in mice that were thought about to be at a high danger of establishing skin cancer.
Researchers used four popular moisturizer brands during the research study. These these were Dermabase, Dermovan, Eucerin Original Moisturizing Cream (Eucerin), and Vanicream. 100 milligrams of each moisturizer was topically used to mice who had actually been exposed to UV radiation once a day, five days a week for around 17 weeks.
- According to the study, topical application of these moisturizers for 17 weeks caused an increased rate of tumors being produced as well as increased the size of these tumors. In total, scientists concluded that using these commercial moisturizers in mice that were at risk of skin cancer increased their tumor development by 69%.
This study was an advancement in regards to testing moisturizer security, as in the previous moisturizers were only checked for irritant activity and their result on the body immune system and were never checked for carcinogenic activity.
- Researchers believe that 2 substances typically discovered in popular moisturizers were the perpetrator behind this increased tumor development. One of these is salt lauryl sulfate, which is a recognized irritant, and the other is mineral oil, which is known to promote tumorigenesis, otherwise referred to as the development of cancer cells.
In conclusion, the research study suggests that the use of some popular moisturizer brand names may accelerate the growth of sunlight-induced skin cancer.
Although numerous popular moisturizer brands contain the 2 cancer-causing active ingredients talked about above, there are numerous moisturizers that use natural, skin-smoothing substances. Here are some of those substances:.
- Argan Oil. This oil is extracted from the fruit of the Argan tree, which is native to Morocco. It is rich in vitamin E, which is popular for its skin-protective advantages. Aside from having the ability to relieve symptoms of dry skin, it can likewise be utilized to deal with wrinkles, psoriasis and eczema.
- Olive Oil. Olive oil is one of the more popular natural moisturizers, once again due to its abundance of vitamin E. However, exactly what makes this moisturizer so special is that it has actually been shown to really safeguard against skin cancer. One research study took a look at the impact that topically applying olive oil had on mice that had UV-induced skin carcinogenesis.
Researchers found that it reduced the size and growth rate of skin tumors. They attributed this result to the antioxidant activity produced by olive oil.
- Pomegranate. Pomegranate extract has been found to secure skin against dryness and early aging triggered by sun exposure. This effect is associated to the active component in pomegranate called catechin, which is a natural phenol and antioxidant.
Other methods you can naturally increase the moisture of your skin include:.
– Preventing long, hot showers (this strips the natural oils from your bodies).
– Utilize a humidifier.
– Eat foods rich in omega-3’s, this enhances the skin’s natural oil-retaining homes.
– Drink lots and lots of water.