Ancient healers used the power of plants to heal both physical and spiritual ailments thousands of years ago.
Today, the ancient practice of smudging is still widely used for such things as feeling stuck, negative, sluggish, or even depressed.
Healers use smudging as a way to clear stagnant energy in your “field” which can include “your emotional, energetic, mental, spiritual or physical body, and your environment—whether it’s your home, office, or other physical space.”
Eastern philosophies contend that stagnant, negative energy can have harmful effects on your mental and physical state and can manifest into things like a general lack of joy or happiness and success, as well as physical pain and even disease.
Benefits of Smudging
Smudging, or burning of plants has various benefits, such as
– Reducing stress
– Helping you wake energized, confident, and hopeful
– Invigorating sleep, allowing you do get into the world of sweet dreams
– Helping you move on and leave old relationships behind
– Helping you feel more centered and protected from the world
– Clearing away negative energy in a space
The Smudging Process
1. Grab the branches of the plant you are using and cut them into 7/10inch lengths
2. Get some hemp or cotton cord and measure it out 4 times larger than the branches
3.Tuck all the branches together and wrap the cord around the bottom of the branches
4. Work your way up to the top, weaving the cord around
5. Once at the top, come back down and tie both ends together at the base
6. You’re Done!
How to Smudge:
You should light the smudge stick’s tip with a candle, match or lighter and when it has a steady flame, you should blow it out so it is smoking and smoldering. You can use some bowl or something like that under the smudge stick to catch any ash. Fan the smoke through your space or over the body by using a feather or hand.
You can wild harvest, of course with ethics, or you can grow your own herbs that you can use for making smudge sticks.
Naturally, the results from the smudging will be different for different people. However, you should consult with a medical professional prior before you use some herbal remedy.