Oil pulling or “kavala” or “gundusha” as it is known in the Ayurveda medicine, is an ancient dental technique which involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for about 15-20 minutes.
This process flushes out toxins from the body and improves your oral and general health. The oil pulling technique is especially helpful for detoxifying your teeth and gums, and whitening your teeth at the same time.
BENEFITS OF OIL PULLING
– Healthy teeth and gums
– Improved respiratory health, especially for those with a history of allergies and asthma
– Healthy sinuses
– Relaxed neck and jaw muscles
– Better joint health
– Support of the body’s natural mechanisms to remove toxins
– Healthy skin
This ancient technique is mostly known for its teeth-whitening and bad breath-banishing benefits.
The lipophilic oils used in this process attract other oils and fat soluble toxins from the body. Then they remove them from any area where the oil is introduced to. The most reliable benefits are provided by uncooked sesame oil, coconut oil and turmeric.
HOW TO PERFORM THE TECHNIQUE?
Oil pulling is a very simple technique. All you need to do is put a couple of teaspoons of vegetable oil (coconut, sesame, olive oil) in your mouth and swish it around for about 20 minutes. Then, spit it out and wash your mouth with water. For best results, do the procedure in the morning on an empty stomach, or in the evening before going to bed.
– Do not swallow the oil.
– Use sesame oil to support healthy teeth and bones
– Practice this treatment in the morning on an empty stomach or before going to bed.
– Initially the oil may not have a pleasant taste, but you will get used to this.
The process will be a little difficult at first, but you will get used to it after a couple of minutes. Regularly using the technique will help you have a whiter and brighter smile in only a week!